Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Is This Even Reality??


Wanna hear a story? You know you do!
When I was a little girl I absolutely idolized my older brother and his friends. They were all 5 years older than me, and the epitome of cool. I grew up with an older sister (4 years my senior) who loathed me from the day I was born, but my brother and his friends were always kind to me. They treated me like I mattered, and at the age of 5 that makes a lasting impression.
Some of the greatest memories of my childhood are going with my brother and his friends to the Boy's Club. We would walk over there and spend the entire day drinking soda out of glass bottles, munching on moon pies, and playing pool and arcade games. They never acted as if I was a burden. They never treated me as a tag-a-long. Instead, they made an effort to invite me to go with them everyday and to include me in their adventures. I was on top of the world! How many other girls my age got to hang out with 4 super cool older boys everyday?
My brother's best friend was the love of my life. At the age of 5 I was already completely smitten with him. I wanted nothing more than to marry him on the black top and hold his hand. He was perfection. And he could moonwalk.
We moved away when I was 6, but moved back to the old neighborhood when I was 11. At 15 I thought my chance had come when he finally kissed me. I thought, for sure, this was it...he finally loved me back. Sadly, at that tender age I failed to realize that a grown man could never have a relationship with a minor and live to tell the tale. I was left brokenhearted, and didn't see my moonwalking prince again for 3 years when I saw him walking down State Street and pulled over to give him a lift. Again, I thought...maybe NOW is our time. Alas, I dropped him off and never saw or spoke to him again.
Until the wonders of facebook.com brought him back to me. Oh Heavens, I'm getting BEYOND cheesy with this one!!!
Anyway...I wake up on Tuesday, May 9 to a friend request blinking at me from my blackberry. Friend request from who you ask??? From JRH (who from this point on will be known as "The Artist" because, well, that's what he is) of course! WOW! Talk about a blast from the past! I hadn't thought of him in years. It had been nearly 10 years since the last time I saw him. I immediately accepted his request and posted a friendly "wow it's been forever, how have you been, blah blah blah" on his wall. A few hours later I get a text from him and the rest is, as we say, history. Well, maybe... You'll just have to stay tuned to find out.
Until next time, much love!
~T

2 comments:

sweetmama.heather said...

You are too funny, JRH was a cool kid that hung out with us at the neighborhood park. I always admired his art abilities... I'm happy you two finally found each other. Here's to some good times for the both of you!

Lindsay Bartholomew said...

Behold the power of facebook!! I love it!! Good LucK!