Saturday, August 16, 2008

What's A Girl To Do But Start A Blog?

As a single mom of 2 who has had to re-enter the dating world, I've come to realize just how messy dating with kids can be.
First, of course, there is mess in the very literal sense of the word. Finding a smear of jelly on your "hotness" jeans 5 minutes before go-time, forcing you to frantically search your closet for something, ANYTHING else that could possibly be passable. Realizing 20 minutes through dinner that you've had chocolate on your cheek from the sloppy kiss your 3 year old gave you before you walked out the door. The overwhelming and never-ending buckets of toys that always seem to find their way out to the living room and spilled all over the floor just before the sitter arrives, followed immediately by the new date. The cancellation of dates in order to spend the night at home with a vomiting child. You get the idea.
Then, there's the messier mess. Believe it or not, it is no simple task to keep your dating life and your mommy life separate. Almost like a strategic game of chess, you have to time drop-offs, pick-ups and sitter-arrivals as carefully as a nuclear launch whilst never forgetting to figure in those precious extra seconds for one more kiss or hug from the true loves of your life, your bebes.
I've also found, to my utter astonishment, that men actually want to meet the munchkins. Whether it's to try and sway them over to "Team ___" or to impress you with the magical touch they have with children, I do not know. What I do know is that it makes me completely insane! As a single mother it is part of my job description to protect me children from any and all pain I possibly can. I am not about to allow my children to get attached to someone before I'm sure about him myself. I am thoroughly amazed at how often men actually get offended by this teensy weensy dating rule or mine!
And then there's the constant battle for attention, and not just from the kids. I'm a busy person. I work full time, go to school full time and raise two kids on my own. Needless to say I don't have a whole heck of a lot of spare time which, to some "boyfriends (ew, I really HATE that word) translates to "I do not care about you. I do not care to see you. And I do not care to make you a priority." What do I say to that? Suck it up or move along cowboy!
So with all of this junk floating about in the mind of someone whose head already works overtime as it is, what's a girl to do but start a blog? This blog is strictly for entertainment purposes. There will be some fun stories and there will be some extremely expressive rants. Whether you enjoy reading it or not, I really couldn't care less because I'm sure I will enjoy writing it. And isn't that what it's all about...ME?!? ;)
Until next time, much love!
~T

No comments: