Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Training Wheels


Forgot to mention the interesting conversation I had with TGTBT last week!
We were discussing his friend S's new relationship. Apparently he's been dating a new girl for about a month and she's been really good for him, but TGTBT doesn't seem to think there's much of a future there. I asked him why he felt that way and he proceeded to tell me that some relationships are like training wheels...simply preparing you for real relationships. This apparently was a "training wheels relationship". He told me about how great this girl has been for S, helping him to grow and become a better person. Why then is she simply training wheels...something to be removed after you learn to keep your balance without their assistance? While he was digging this proverbial hole for himself I really identified with Training Wheels, her story feeling all too familiar.
TGTBT could tell that I was taking his words in what he deemed to be the wrong way, so he tried to smooth it over by saying that OF COURSE he did not see ME that way. He stumbled over his explanation that he wasn't discussing HIM AT ALL, he was discussing S. That of course brought us to HIS current view on relationships etc. He, like the tactless fool that he is, explained that maybe in six months or so he would be ready to start dating people that he could get serious with; that right now he was simply spending time with people whose company he enjoyed. Ouch. So I'm not someone worthy of getting serious with? I'm just a toy to keep him occupied until he's ready to find a REAL relationship?
Why is it that some of us are bound to always be the teachers, helping men become who they are destined to be yet never reaping the rewards of our hard work? Seems like a pretty crummy deal if you ask me...I'm just sayin.
Until next time, much love!
~T

No comments: